After Glennville’s Hughes Hotel burned to the ground on Christmas Eve night 1920, business leaders under the auspices of the Kiwanis Club began the process of building a new one. A few years later, this was constructed with forty rooms as one of the most modern hotels in the area. It featured electric light, hot and cold running water, and steam heat. Dr. & Mrs. J. M. Hughes were the first operators. Roxanne Hughes came up with the name Glennwanis, as part of a contest. It combined the name of Glennville with Kiwanis. Over the years the property has had numerous owners and served many purposes but today is owned by the Glennville Downtown Development Authority, who are in the process of restoring its interior.
National Register of Historic Places