According to Nancy Stephens, who once owned this house, it was built circa 1815 by Thomas Whaley in the Federal style. It was purchased in 1853 by Edmund Pendleton, who expanded it for his large family. R. A. Graves bought it in 1880 and modified it to its present Victorian appearance. It is presently unoccupied.
Sparta Historic District, National Register of Historic Places