Also known as the Candler-Hill House, this is best known today as the Hill Hotel, which was in operation until 1952. Originally built as a Plantation Plain with Greek Revival details, it was expanded by T. F. Hill for use as a boarding house and hotel. It was recently on the verge of demolition, but Scott Reed will be doing an architecturally sensitive remodel, and he believes the core of the house dates to circa 1835.
The 1873 date generally associated with the house is likely when the property was expanded to its present appearance.
Homer Historic District, National Register of Historic Places