George Rachels III writes: This was originally the Bartow Women’s club and later hosted dances and suppers. It is now a private residence.
Tag Archives: Bartow GA
According to Lorraine Frederick Minton, whose great-great-great-grandfather, Francis Eugene Flanders founded the church, it was designed with a “Quaker Heart”. Flanders was a circuit rider. Her great-great-great-great-grandfather, Richard Drake, was the architect. She notes: It was originally built on the other side of the “swamp” and later pulled by oxen and placed on logs to cross the swamp and placed where it is today. The original church records are now reported to be stored at Lake Junaluska, NC.
Bartow UMC was organized on 18 July 18 1879. In the late 1890’s the church was moved into the town of Bartow. The original church building was torn down and rebuilt.
Constituted as the First Baptist Church, the congregation now simply calls itself Bartow Baptist Church. J. G. Gunter was the pastor at the time this structure was raised. The cornerstone lists the building committee as: J. R. O. Smith; A. S. Chamlee; N. A. Williams; T. C. Jordan; T. Y. Smith; G. H. Ratchford; and L. G. Smith.
This is a beautiful cemetery, the resting place of many area pioneers. The stone gate was built in 1934, by popular subscription. A marble marker on the inside of the gates notes that the building committee were: George B. Archer, Designer and Builder; Mrs. L. S. Smith, Chairman; Miss Mamie Kinman, Treasurer; and Miss Virginia Thomas, Secretary.