Tag Archives: –BROOKS COUNTY GA–

Eclectic Victorian House, Circa 1900, Quitman

Quitman Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --BROOKS COUNTY GA--, Quitman GA

Folk Victorian House, 1905, Quitman

Quitman Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

1 Comment

Filed under --BROOKS COUNTY GA--, Quitman GA

Bentley House, Circa 1860, Quitman

Owner Tim Reisenwitz writes: Thank you for posting The Bentley House (c. 1860). I am currently restoring this antebellum and had an architectural historian visit and confirm the time of construction and also that the architect was most likely John Wind (1819-1863). John Wind was most famous for spectacular plantation homes but also designed town cottages such as this one, particularly with the U-shaped configuration. He also designed many area public buildings. 

Quitman Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

 

7 Comments

Filed under --BROOKS COUNTY GA--, Quitman GA

Colonial Revival House, 1904, Quitman

Quitman Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --BROOKS COUNTY GA--, Quitman GA

Folk Victorian House, Circa 1900, Quitman

One of the most interesting features of this house is the ornamental porch frieze.

 

 

Leave a comment

Filed under --BROOKS COUNTY GA--, Quitman GA

Old Brooks County Jail, 1884, Quitman

This Romanesque style jail was built by Simeon A. Remington to replace an 1867 wooden jail that burned in 1880. It was used until 1980.

National Register of Historic Places

3 Comments

Filed under --BROOKS COUNTY GA--, Quitman GA

Bungalow, Circa 1900, Quitman

Quitman Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

 

 

Leave a comment

Filed under --BROOKS COUNTY GA--, Quitman GA

Craftsman Bungalow, Circa 1920, Quitman

Quitman Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

1 Comment

Filed under --BROOKS COUNTY GA--, Quitman GA

Gable Front Farmhouse, Brooks County

Leave a comment

Filed under --BROOKS COUNTY GA--

Bethlehem Primitive Baptist Church, Circa 1861, Brooks County

Bethlehem Primitive Baptist church was established in 1834 as the Baptist Church at Christ Bethlehem, just two years after the Primitive sect was formed nationally from a  split with the Missionary Baptists. They formally affiliated with the Primitive Baptists in 1840.

The present church, constructed circa 1861, is one of the few remaining antebellum structures surviving in Brooks County.

To those familiar with the Crawfordite Primitve Baptists of Southeast Georgia, it will look quite familiar, as it is plain, unpainted, and contains multiple entrances.

The congregation disbanded in 1964, had a brief revival between 1981-1984, and has been inactive ever since.

It’s a serene place that will hopefully be preserved far into the future.

National Register of Historic Places

4 Comments

Filed under --BROOKS COUNTY GA--