Courthouse & Confederate Monument, Vienna

dooly county courthouse vienna ga confederate monument photograph copyriht brian brown vanishing south georgia usa 2009

National Register of Historic Places

Vienna’s Romanesque Revival courthouse was completed in 1892. It originally featured a spire, which was later removed due to structural concerns. William H. Parkins was the architect. The confederate monument was dedicated by Dooly County’s surviving veterans and the Vienna United Daughters of the Confederacy Chapter 1097 on 26 November 1908. The kepi on the soldier is a rare authentic feature absent from most confederate monuments, but nearly as rare is the fact that a woman was the principal speaker at the dedication. Miss Mae Forehand was a rousing orator, according to accounts of the day.

Source: Frank M. McKenney, The Standing Army: History of Georgia’s County Confederate Monument, W. H. Wolfe Associates, Alpharetta, 1993.

Montezuma Post Office, 1939

montezuma ga new deal wpa post office photograph copyright brian brown vanishing south georgia usa 2009

This was built by the WPA as part of Roosevelt’s New Deal.

Montezuma Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Lilly Baptist Church, 1905

historic lilly baptist church dooly county ga photograph copyright brian brown vanishing south georgia usa 2016

This beautiful church was built by a local man, Perry G. Busbee, who was the father of Governor George Busbee.

lilly ga historic baptist church photograph copyright brian brown vanishing south georgia usa 2016

Lilly Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Windsor Hotel, 1892, Americus

historic windsor hotel americus ga photograph copyright brian brown vanishing south georgia usa 2009

Americus Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

http://www.windsor-americus.com

Ocilla Public School, 1936

ocilla public school irwin county photograph copyright brian brown vanihsing south georgia usa 2009

A two-story brick school house and two-story brick teacher’s home were originally located on this lot. Two dormitories for students who lived in the county and went to school in Ocilla during the week were also located here. None of those structures survive. The original school taught grades one through eleven, and as the student population grew, the teacher’s house was converted for use as a grammar school. By the early 1930s, these buildings weren’t large enough to accommodate increasing numbers of students and in 1933 they were demolished to make way for the present structure. Lauren Parrott (of Fitzgerald, I believe) was the architect. The Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) began the project and it was finished by the WPA. While the new school was being constructed, classes were held in the courthouse, city hall, and Methodist and Baptist churches. The school was built between 1934 and 1936. For its first twenty years, it housed the elementary and high schools. By 1952, a new high school was built a few blocks away and this became the elementary school. It served that capacity until 1987.

National Register of Historic Places

City Hall, Lilly

lilly-ga-city-hall-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-south-georgia-usa-2009

Victor McGough notes that The Bank of Lilly operated in the left corner of this building, before the stock market crash of 1929. For many years thereafter the remainder of the structure was the general merchandise store of Clay Ingram. Mr. Ingram’s store could be entered from either Oak St or Railroad St. It wrapped around the bank. The elevated roof is a modern addition.

Lilly was founded by brothers John, Frank, and Robert Lilly in 1902, when the railroad came through the area. It had originally been known as Fuqua in the late 19th century and, briefly, was known as Midway, for its location between Cordele and Montezuma. The commercial block now housing the city hall likely dates to the first few years of the town’s organization, between 1902-1910.

Lilly Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Produce Mural, Lilly

lilly ga dooly county produce mural photograph copyright brian brown vanishing south georgia usa 2008

Lilly Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Old Turner County Jail, 1906, Ashburn

ashburn ga old turner county jail photograph copyright brian brown vanishing south georgia usa 2008

Though typical in design for many South Georgia jails of its day, the old Turner County jail is anything but these days. The City of Ashburn repurposed  the building as a tourist attraction, and it now houses The Crime and Punishment Museum. It’s definitely worth a visit if you’re in town.

National Register of Historic Places

Carnegie Library, 1915, Fitzgerald

Fitzgerald GA Carnegie Library Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2008

Fitzgerald’s Carnegie Library served the community from 1915 to 1983, when it was replaced by a modern facility a few blocks away. The city recently restored this structure, which is now used as an arts center. C. E. Choate was the architect.

Fitzgerald Commercial Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

%d bloggers like this: