On April 19, 1865, a part of Wilson’s Federal Raiders, moving toward Macon, encountered the “Worrill Grays” near this spot. The “Grays,” numbering less than 200 men, fought a magnificent battle, greatly outnumbered. After a two-hour battle they finally yielded to the superior force, leaving their dead and wounded in Federal hands. So fierce was the fighting that the two men in the 17th Indiana (mounted) Infantry who captured the flag of this fighting unit, were awarded Medals of Honor by the United States Government.
This marker was placed by the Georgia Historical Commission in 1956.
Culloden Historic District, National Register of Historic Places