Whitesburg Methodist Church was organized in 1887, and at that time this lot was purchased from R. E. Morrow. The first trustees were W. F. Story, J. E. Merk, J. W. Gilbert, and J. M. Newton. A fire destroyed the original wooden church in June 1912 and this structure was completed in 1913. [From a recollection by Mrs. S. T. Camp in the archives of the North Georgia Conference of the United Methodist Church].
Originating west of Whitesburg as early as the 1840s, the New Providence Baptist Church is known only through oral tradition. The records of the early church were lost in a house fire and the written record commences in 1871. On 13 March 1875, the congregation voted to change the name to Whitesburg Baptist Church. Apparently, the old New Providence Church building burned around this time and construction of the present structure was completed between 1875-1876. Other than replacement of the steeple after a tornado in the 1970s or 1980s, the church is largely original, with only slight modifications.
National Register of Historic Places