Cherokee chieftain George Welch built a mill near this site circa 1820 and built an uncovered bridge sometime thereafter. As a result of the Cherokee removal in 1838 the land was sold to Jacob Scudder. In 1880, it was purchased by Dr. M. L. Poole. The original bridge washed away in 1899 and was replaced with this covered bridge in 1901. The builder, Bud Gentry, built it in the Town lattice design, common among Georgia’s covered bridges. The mill was abandoned in 1946 and burned in 1959.
After periods of disrepair, the structure was converted from private ownership and dedicated as a county park in 1997. It is a free site and a wonderfully maintained park.
National Register of Historic Places