Category Archives: Ailey GA

Single-Pen House, Ailey

Nepsey-Warren United Methodist Church, 1877 & 1970s, Ailey

Nepsey Methodist Church originated as Old Wesley Chapel in 1872, on the plantation of William James Peterson. The congregation built the church at this site in 1877 and renamed it Nepsey Methodist Church, in honor of Sister Nepsey Johnson, a beloved member known as “a steadfast and immovable Christian”. Samuel P. Bryant was the first pastor and the construction of the church was completed during the pastorate of the Rev. M. P. Moore The church was remodeled and bricks added between 1974 and 1977. Nepsey merged with Warren Chapel, which was organized in Mt. Vernon in the early 1900s, in 1983.

Folk Victorian House, Ailey

Live Oak Missionary Baptist Church, Ailey

This congregation was founded on 19 May 1891. It’s located adjacent to Ailey’s historic Rosenwald School and has been an integral part of the local African-American community throughout its history.

Rosenwald School, 1927, Ailey

This Rosenwald School was built to accommodate three teachers at a cost of $3650. The effort to bring the facility to Ailey was largely the work of Shelton Mincey (1865-1930), a community leader who served as a delegate to the Republican National Conventions of 1912 and 1920. Since its restoration, the school has served as a community center for Ailey.

Historic Storefronts, Ailey

It’s amazing that most of the buildings in a town as small as Ailey are in good condition. The Peterson Companies have done the restoration and utilize the structures for various purposes.

This is one of two false-front buildings on Railroad Street. Surviving examples of this form are relatively uncommon in Georgia.

I’d appreciate some help with identifying these important resources.

This building, on the corner of Railroad and Broad Streets, is a fine example of formal commercial architecture common at the turn of the last century.

These utilitarian structures may have been related to the railroad.

The whole town should be listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

ailey-ga-looking-down-broad-street-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-south-georgia-usa-2017

Seaboard Air Line Railway Depot, 1904, Ailey

This historic depot was renovated in 1999 for use as City Hall.

Old Jail, Ailey

Small temporary jails of this style are also known as calabooses.

Ailey Baptist Church, 1892