A historic marker placed in 1991 by the South Georgia Conference of the United Methodist Church at the road leading to the church (now a United Methodist Church) reads: Spring Hill, settled in 1807, was a preaching place on the Ohoopee Circuit by 1814. In 1850 John Carmichael gave land for a campground. A tabernacle replaced the brush arbors about the church. Campmeetings continued seven decades. Clements Institute evolved from pre-Civil War schools and in 1871 became the first Methodist District High School. C. C. Hines and W. A. Huckabee led in founding South Georgia College at McRae in 1891. From 1879, J. D. Anthony, “Bishop of the Wiregrass”, made this his home. Here, Bascom Anthony entered the ministry. In 1991, the church worships in its 1879 frame building and the social hall is in the school.
A modern steeple has been added and it appears the social hall is now located next door. The schoolhouse, seen in the next post, is just across a dirt road from the church.