In their 1951 history of the Tate Methodist Church,Mildred and J. B. Hill note that the Methodists of Tate first met in Jasper for monthly services and then began holding services in the old Tate schoolhouse. Since the Tate family were Methodists, they led the drive to build a permanent home in the community and this structure held its first services in 1887. Upon the completion of this church, Stephen Tate directed the construction of the African Methodist Episcopal Church, South, for the Black citizens, and gave them financial support over they years.
Georgia Marble Company and Tate Historic District, National Register of Historic Places