The congregation of Mt. Ararat Methodist Church was organized in 1824. The sign on the church notes that the church was built in 1824, but a marker at the entrance to the cemetery notes that the church was destroyed by Sherman’s army in the winter of 1864. It’s possible that elements of the old structure were incorporated into the present structure.
The vernacular Greek Revival form was very common in 19th century Georgia.