This exceptional Neoclassical Revival mansion was built by C. M. Smith in the early 1920s. Mr. Smith was the highly successful owner of Smith Brothers Nursery, which at one time was the largest fruit and ornamental tree nursery east of the Mississippi.
This store was also known as Hill Top Groceries.
Though it closed a few years ago, it has been preserved as a community landmark.
Most double-pen houses are of the saddlebag variety, with a central chimney, but this example has one chimney, on the side. It’s a rare form today.
A smart sign indicates that you’re in Hill Top. As other signs in the community indicate, the preferred spelling is Hill Top, but as a census-designated place and on maps, it’s written as one word.
Pike County Consolidated High School, in the Hilltop community of Concord, was the school for all Black students in the county from the 1950s until its closure in 1969. The Pike County superintendent decided not to renew contracts for any teachers or administrators of Pike Consolidated, including the principal, D. F. Glover. In protest, the students led a demonstration. They marched from Hilltop to Pike County High School in Zebulon, followed by state troopers, helicopters, and the Atlanta news media. As punishment, the students were denied their graduation ceremony and were refused diplomas. Though Mr. Glover was given a job in the newly desegregated Pike County High School, the episode was not forgotten by the students. In 2018, they received their diplomas, and an apology by way of resolution, from the Board of Education.
Blackmon’s was one of two grocery stores in the small Hilltop community of Concord.
Hollonville is located where Concord Road runs into Georgia Highway 362. And while so many crossroads “towns” all over Georgia have seen their few remaining buildings crumble to ruin, Hollonville has bucked the trend. These two repurposed historic storefronts are home to thriving businesses today. It’s a surprisingly busy place.
According to a history compiled by Miss Addie Huckaby [24 July 1861-18 November 1953], compiled circa 1950, Hollonville United Methodist Church traces its origins to the Flat Rock Methodist Church. That congregation was established long before the Civil War as a camp meeting. She noted that her family joined Flat Rock Methodist in 1873 and recalled that some of the ministers of that time were Wesley Henson, David Nolan, T. S. L. Harwell, and Cadesman Pope. Miss Huckaby remembered the old church building at Flat Rock and that the congregation moved to the present location, in Hollonville, in the mid-1880s. The congregation was still known as Flat Rock at the time; I’m unsure when the name was changed.
This farmhouse, between Pedenville and Hollonville, may have originated as an American Foursquare, with later additions changing its overall appearance.
Friendship Presbyterian Church was established in 1835 in a community then known as Maggie. As the area grew, it was home to many members of the Peden family, and it eventually became known as Pedenville. In 1849, Reverend Andrew Gilliland Peden [28 October 1811-19 January 1896] became pastor of Friendship, and served for over 20 years in that capacity. His father, David Peden, came from Ireland to South Carolina in 1773, and served the cause of America during the Revolution.
The present church was constructed by W. A. Hollon, for whom nearby Hollonville was named, between 1869-1870 and was dedicated in 1871. It was built on the site of the old Pedenville schoolhouse. It continues to serve the congregation.