Category Archives: Concord GA

C. M. Smith House, 1920s, Concord

This exceptional Neoclassical Revival mansion was built by C. M. Smith in the early 1920s. Mr. Smith was the highly successful owner of Smith Brothers Nursery, which at one time was the largest fruit and ornamental tree nursery east of the Mississippi.

Rev. R. W. Rogers’s History of Pike County From 1822-1922, published at Zebulon, notes: Concord is probably known by more people than any other town of its size in the South. One business firm here doubtless serves more customers than any other establishment in the State. We refer to Smith Bros., the nurserymen. This business was established 35 years ago, by J. H. & C. T. Smith and has now grown to be the largest retail nursery in the South. They ship trees to almost every railroad station in the Southern States and they number their customers by the hundred thousand. Trees and plants from Smith Bros. are grown around nearly every home in the cotton belt. Trees are grown here by the million. They grow more peach trees than anything else, but also have large blocks of apple, pear, plum, pecan, rose, ornamentals, and other stock. From 50 to 100 people are employed to work in their office, packing houses and fields. Mr. C. T. Smith is business manager of the firm, and is assisted by Mr. F. m. Smith, and a good force of office workers. The field department is run by Mr. J. H. Smith, assisted by Mr. C. M. Smith.


Main Street, Concord

Concord Baptist Church, Pike County

Concord United Methodist Church, 1888, Pike County

Salem Church, which was the forerunner to Concord Methodist, was established in 1850, about a mile west of present-day Concord. With the coming of the Georgia Midland Railway in 1887, the town grew and the decision was made to relocate the congregation. This church was built in 1888 and remains a small but active congregation.

Drug Store, Concord

This old drug store has been closed for years, but the benches on the front look like they’re still used from time to time. The only pharmacist I can locate in early-20th-century Concord is R. A. Mallory, who was also a doctor. This may have been his drug store. Dr. Mallory’s mother was the sister of Governor William Yates Atkinson.

R. F. Strickland Company, 1907, Concord

Isaac Strickland, who settled in the Concord area in the 1830s, was operating a general store here by the 1840s. Strickland had seven sons and three daughters. By 1906, seven of Strickland’s sons were operating a store and overseeing an agricultural and real estate operation entailing several thousand acres of farmland. By the time this structure was built by the Gresham Manufacturing Company in 1907, the family was managing over 30,000 acres of land, including at least 300 tenant farms. The Strickland Company dominated all forms of agribusiness in the area, as well as a general store, and banking. The second floor of Strickland’s was home to the local telephone exchange for a time, as well. By the 1960s, many of these businesses were no longer viable, but the store remained open until at least the 1980s.

Today, the Strickland building is home to Slow Exposures: A Juried Exhibition Celebrating Photography of the Rural South. It’s an innovative project which brings together artists from all over the country.

National Register of Historic Places

Goodman House, 1887, Concord

Abandoned House, Concord