Category Archives: Martin GA

Martin, Georgia

Martin GA Historic Downtown Storefronts Trading Post Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

Martin was settled by Henry C. Black, the agent for the Atlanta & Charlotte Air Line Railroad when the station was established in 1877. It was incorporated in 1891 and named for early governor John Martin, a native of Rhode Island who was elected in 1782.

Martin Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

 

 

House & Storefronts, Martin

Martin Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Architectural Details, Martin

This side street view reveals bricked-in fanlights on an old store.

Martin Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

T. R. Yow House, Circa 1895, Martin

Martin Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Elberton Air Line Railroad Depot, 1877, Martin

The Elberton Air Line was opened in December 1878 with the assistance of the Atlanta & Charlotte Air-Line Railway. This soon merged with the Southern Railway and this depot served the line until the middle of the 20th century. According to the National Register nomination form, the depot was constructed in 1877.

Martin Historic District, National Register of Historic Places