
St. James African Methodist Episcopal Church was established in the 1890s and built their first home on West Fifth Street. John Caesar is thought to have been the first pastor. Other pastors were F. D. Hightower, J. W. Hall, A. R. Cooper, B. Gay, and J. E. Brown.
During the pastorate of C. W. Harris, in 1922, the congregation bought this lot on North Maple Street and built the present structure.
Renovations were made in 2002, under the leadership of Reverend Jasper Drew.









