Friendship Presbyterian Church was established in 1835 in a community then known as Maggie. As the area grew, it was home to many members of the Peden family, and it eventually became known as Pedenville. In 1849, Reverend Andrew Gilliland Peden [28 October 1811-19 January 1896] became pastor of Friendship, and served for over 20 years in that capacity. His father, David Peden, came from Ireland to South Carolina in 1773, and served the cause of America during the Revolution.
The present church was constructed by W. A. Hollon, for whom nearby Hollonville was named, between 1869-1870 and was dedicated in 1871. It was built on the site of the old Pedenville schoolhouse. It continues to serve the congregation.