This remote community was first settled in the 1880s by James H. Young and Samuel B. Rowe, son of Fred and Margaret Young Rowe. Because it was located on high ground in a low-lying swamp, it came to be known as Youngs Island. Farming and rice cultivation were the primary economic focus of the area until the Warsaw Lumber Company sawmill provided employment in the 1920s. The church was likely established around 1920, as that is the date of the earliest marked burial in the cemetery.
Church of God, 1965, Youngs Island
Leave a reply