Category Archives: Byron GA

Vinson’s Pharmacy, 1910, Byron

This structure was built by Dr. Moultrie Warren as a medical office and drug store. It was later home to Vinson’s Pharmacy and then Robertson’s Pharmacy. It has been repurposed today as the Drugstore Deli.

Byron Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Historic Storefront, Byron

This looks like it may have been a bank, but I haven’t been able to track down the history.

Byron Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Dr. J. B. Kay’s Obstetric Clinic, 1930s, Byron

This unusual structure, essentially two shotgun offices connected by a central hallway, was built circa 1919. Beginning in the 1930s, it was the office and clinic of Dr. James Benjamin Kay (1890-1960) and was the first obstetrics clinic in Georgia. Dr. Kay delivered over 3500 babies during his long career and also practiced general medicine

Byron Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Poole-Barnes House, 1910, Byron

The Neoclassical Revival house was popular among wealthy Georgians in the early 20th century and myriad variations of the form can be found in small towns and cities alike. This one is presently being restored and is a great example.

Byron Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Peavy-Robertson House, 1887, Byron

Byron Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Richardson House, 1867, Byron

This raised cottage was built by Dr. Charles Hyatt Richardson (1830-1886), a native of Sumter, South Carolina. Dr. Richardson was the first doctor and first mayor of Byron. Local citizens wanted to name the town Richardsonville in his honor, but he suggested it be named for Lord Byron, the English poet.

A raised Georgian Greek Revival cottage, it’s one of the finest homes in Byron and is wonderfully maintained. The side wing and Victorian fretwork were added circa 1890. Sources date it to 1867 and note it was built for one of his sons, but his sons were not even teenagers in 1867. Later owners have been the Warren (descendants of Dr. Richardson) and Collins families.

Byron Historic District, National Register of Historic Places.

Central of Georgia Depot, 1870, Byron

Restored in recent years for use as a museum, the Byron Depot is one of several from the era still standing on the old Central of Georgia line.

Byron Historic District, National Register of Historic Places