Through the efforts of Wesley Newman Raymond and Robert Richardson, the Raymond-Richardson Aviation School was established at this site in 1939, to teach basic flight skills to college students.
With America’s entrance into World War II in 1941, the school became the 63rd Flight Training Detachment Airbase.
During the war, several thousand men learned to fly here and went on to serve all over the world.
Many local women provided support as clerical and food service employees, as well as civilian dispatchers and aircraft mechanics.
The base was decommissioned in 1944 and the hangers have been incorporated into the old airfield, now known as Douglas Municipal Airport (KDHQ).
The property, now owned by the city of Douglas, has been used for numerous purposes since the end of the war.
Through the efforts of local enthusiasts, Barracks 7 is now home to the WWII Flight Training Museum, which has limited hours. The property can be accessed at any time.