This historic congregation is older than Macon County. From 1827 until the Civil War, Mt. Zion Church built at least three churches, with the first being built about nine miles west of present-day Oglethorpe in the Saint John’s community (known locally today as Cut-Off). By the early 20th century, there were more Lutherans in Oglethorpe than in the rural section of the county and St. Luke was organized to better serve them. Martin Luther (Luke) Shealy gave the land on which the present church was built and out of respect, the members chose St. Luke as the new name of their congregation. The two congregations merged in 1953. Below is the Parish House, which was rebuilt after the original burned in 1976.