This massive house commands a prominent position in downtown Taylorsville and looks like it’s awaiting a new life.
Taylorsville Baptist Church was organized in 1838 as the Salem Baptist Church and was originally located off Old Alabama Road. The church moved to Taylorsville in 1878 and changed its name in 1901. The current structure dates to 1911.
Typical of many commercial blocks built in late-19th- and early-20th-century Georgia, this structure served a dual purpose as a general store and Masonic lodge.
In History of Bartow County, Formerly Cass [originally published in 1933], Lucy Josephine Cunyus wrote: The town which would become Taylorsville was carved out of an agricultural community whose fortunes were greatly enhanced by the completion of the Cartersville & Van Wert Railroad in 1870, which connected to the Western & Atlantic Railroad in Cartersville. An immediate result of the railroad was that a new town was laid out on property belonging to Thomas Ausley and Israel P. Davis of Polk County. A post office had already been established in 1856 and had been given the name of Mountain House. It served the community until 1860 with Benjamin Franklin Williams serving as postmaster. Taylorsville was named for Edward Gammage Taylor, who completed the town survey. Mr. Ausley was thought to be the first mayor. The first house was built by John Loudermilk east of the town. Some of the first merchants were J. M. Smith, Sr. and Rowan Hanie. Taylorsville was not officially incorporated until August 19,1916, with J. W. Kennedy as mayor and both W. M. Dorsey and W. D. Trippe as alderman. The town cemetery, known today as the Old Taylorsville Church Cemetery, lies partly in Polk County. Israel P. Davis was the first to be buried, as he gave the land for it.
This courthouse replaced an 1869 courthouse [still standing] and was designed by Georgia’s most prolific courthouse architect, J. W. Golucke.
National Register of Historic Places
In the early 20th century, Coca-Cola wall paintings, or murals, were ubiquitous in small towns all over America. But through research and authentication by the Coca-Cola Company, it has been determined that the very first such advertisement was created here in Cartersville, on the side of Young Brothers Pharmacy, in 1894. It was painted by syrup salesman James Couden.The Coca-Cola Company regularly refreshed the sign with new paint until the late 1970s, and in the 1980s, Dean Cox, who had purchased the pharmacy from one of the Young brothers’ daughters in 1970, became curious about the historical sign. In 1989, he hired Alison Free and Aggie Ferguson to restore it to its original condition. 25 layers of paint were removed to reveal the mural visible today. Coca-Cola fans and collectors from all over the world have been making pilgrimages to Cartersville to see it ever since.
Cartersville Downtown Historic District, National Register of Historic Places