Tag Archives: Architecture of J. W. Golucke

Rockdale County Jail, 1897, Conyers

This jail was built in 1897 to replace the first jail in Rockdale County and served the county until 1968. It was designed by Georgia’s most prolific courthouse architect, J. W. Golucke, while he was in partnership with G. W. Stewart. The interior was outfitted by the Pauly Jail Building and Manufacturing Company of St. Louis. F. P. Heifner was the contractor.

The old jail was restored by the Rockdale County Historical Society in 1975 and serves as their headquarters and a museum today.

National Register of Historic Places

Bartow County Courthouse, 1902, Cartersville

This courthouse replaced an 1869 courthouse [still standing] and was designed by Georgia’s most prolific courthouse architect, J. W. Golucke.

National Register of Historic Places

Old Dodge County Jail, 1897, Eastman

Old Dodge County Jail Eastman GA Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2015

Designed by the great courthouse architect J. W. Golucke (Golucke & Stewart), Dodge County’s historic jail was built by the Pauly Jail Building Company, which is still in business today. It originally featured a three-story tower in the center, but that was removed during a roof renovation. It closed in 1973 upon the completion of a more modern facility.

Old Dodge County Jail Eastman GA Window Detail Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2015

The detailed metal window arch inserts are quite decorative for a jail. As evident in this photograph, serious structural damage is an immediate threat.

Old Dodge County Jail Eastman GA Golucke Stewart Pauly Jail Building Company Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2015

A hanging room with trap door and lever are still intact, but leaks and continued neglect will need to addressed soon to stabilize the structure. Hopefully, Dodge County will utilize the jail in the future for a cultural resource center or something of that nature. Since its inclusion on the Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation’s 2010 Places in Peril listing, little, if any, restoration has been done.

National Register of Historic Places

Union County Courthouse, 1899, Blairsville

Union County Courthouse Blairsville GA Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2015

Designed by Golucke & Stewart, this Romanesque courthouse served Union County until it was condemned in 1971. Temporary facilities were used until a replacement was built in 1976. Since restoration, it has served as home of the Union County Historical Society.

National Register of Historic Places

Fitzpatrick Hotel, 1898, Washington

Historic Fitzpatrick Hotel Washington GA Wilkes County Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2015

After Washington’s Great Fire of 11 June 1895, which devastated much of the business center of the city, brothers John and Thomas Fitzpatrick returned to their hometown from Lancaster, South Carolina, where they had operated a thriving dry goods business. They soon began building this hotel on property their family had owned since 1843. Golucke & Stewart were the architects.(J. W. Golucke was the most prolific architect of governments in Georgia history). The brothers used the lobby to display dry goods and groceries in promotion of their more lucrative enterprise . In 1899, the business was grossing $100,000 annually. The first telephone system in Washington was installed here and preceded the Fitzpatrick’s ownership of the county’s first telephone company. John died in 1907 and Thomas in 1911. After the their deaths, the hotel would later be known as the Columbus Inn and the Washington Hotel and was finally closed in 1952. After many years of neglect, it was restored and reopened by Jim Carter and Mike & Christy Todd.

National Register of Historic Places

 

Putnam County Courthouse, 1906, Eatonton

Putnam County GA Courthouse Eatonton Explore Georgia Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2015

Situated on one of the largest public squares in Georgia, Putnam County’s Neoclassical Revival courthouse was designed by J. W. Golucke.

Eaonton Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Meriwether County Courthouse, 1904, Greenville

Built by Georgia’s most prolific courthouse architect, J. W. Golucke, the Meriwether County Courthouse burned in 1976 but the external walls remained intact and a restoration which took several years returned the structure to its prominence in the community. It’s one of my favorites of the domed clock-tower style.

National Register of Historic Places

Warrenton First Methodist Church, 1904

Warrenton GA First Methodist Church Warren County J W Golucke Architect Landmark Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

This beautiful church was designed by the great Georgia courthouse architect J. W. Golucke. J. W. McMillan & Son were the builders. Reverend J. T. Robins was the first pastor in the new church and the building committee were W. C. English, Chairman; C. R. Fitzpatrick; Dr. M. R. Hall; Colonel E. P. Davis; and Dr. W. W. Pilcher.

Downtown Warrenton Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Morgan County Courthouse, 1905, Madison

Madison County GA Courthouse Madison J W Golucke Landmark Neoclassical Architecture Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2014

Madison Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

One of numerous Georgia courthouses designed by J. W. Golucke, this landmark is perennially listed as one of the state’s most popular.

http://georgiainfo.galileo.usg.edu/topics/counties/morgan

Tattnall County Courthouse, 1902, Reidsville

tattnall-county-courthouse-reidsville-ga-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-south-georgia-usa-2013

Designed by J. W. Golucke, Georgia’s leading courthouse architect, this structure was greatly modified in 1961. It originally featured a clock tower and mansard roof. It remains one of the more unique courthouses in the state.

National Register of Historic Places