Tag Archives: National Register of Historic Places

Queen Anne House, Brunswick

Brunswick Old Town Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

1 Comment

Filed under --GLYNN COUNTY GA--, Brunswick GA

Folk Victorian House, 1884, Brunswick

Brunswick Old Town Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --GLYNN COUNTY GA--, Brunswick GA

Central Hallway Cottage, 1885, Brunswick

Brunswick Old Town Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

2 Comments

Filed under --GLYNN COUNTY GA--, Brunswick GA

Folk Victorian House, 1880, Brunswick

Brunswick Old Town Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

1 Comment

Filed under --GLYNN COUNTY GA--, Brunswick GA

Obelisk Flour Ghost Mural, Moultrie

Moultrie Commercial Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

1 Comment

Filed under --COLQUITT COUNTY GA--, Moultrie GA

Knight’s Fish Market, 1937, Moultrie

The Knight family opened this seafood market in 1937. The iconic sign may be nearly as old as the business itself. Charles Knight continued the tradition and kept Colquitt County supplied with the best fresh seafood available. The market closed in 2015, after nearly 80 years in business.

Moultrie Commercial Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --COLQUITT COUNTY GA--, Moultrie GA

The Slate House, Circa 1860, Macon

Named for their slate roof, the Slate Row Houses were built to house the engineers who were constructing the grand home of William Johnston [now known primarily as the Hay House]. They are considered to be among the earliest apartment buildings in Macon. Architecturally, they’re described in the nomination form for the National Register of Historic Places (1973) as a simplified version of the Second Empire style apartment house that has been converted into a modern condominium building. James B. Ayers, the contractor hired by Johnston, employed numerous enslaved artisans, according to research by Mercer Law student Nathan Corbitt. One of those artisans was Primus Moore, who worked on the construction of the Hay House. He was also responsible for all of the plaster work at Macon City Hall and was even paid by the city after Emancipation to continue the work.

National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --BIBB COUNTY GA--, Macon GA

McCaw-Massee House, 1901, Macon

This Beaux-Arts landmark [also known as the Crisco House] was designed by Macon architect Alexander Blair III for Wallace Eugene McCaw, Sr., president of the Macon Manufacturing Company, an oil and soap concern. During his time at Macon Manufacturing Company, Mr. McCaw invented a hydrogenated vegetable-based shortening which he marketed locally as Plantene. The formula was purchased by Procter and Gamble in 1910 and the product name was changed to Crisco. Mr. McCaw sold the house at this time and went on to a career as a vice-president at Procter and Gamble in Cincinnati. He died in 1933 while boating near his summer home at Diamond Point, New York, on Lake George, An autopsy determined that he had a heart attack and fell into the water.

The buyer of the house was W. Jordan Massee, a larger-than-life Macon character known as Big Jordan. Massee was a good friend of playwright Tennessee Williams and Big Daddy in the play was purportedly based on Massee. When Massee sold the house it was divided into apartments. After many years of decline, it was purchased and restored in 2013.

Macon Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

1 Comment

Filed under --BIBB COUNTY GA--, Macon GA

Callaway-Porter House, 1905, Macon

This Classical Revival home is thought to have been designed by Curran R. Ellis for Merrel P. Callaway (26 November 1872-16 June 1957). Ellis may be best known in Macon as the architect of the Bibb County Courthouse. James & Olive Porter purchased the home in 1919 and commissioned an interior redesign from Neel Reid.

Macon Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --BIBB COUNTY GA--, Macon GA

Stone-Connor House, Circa 1875, Macon

Later residents of this landmark were the Boone and Flournoy families.

Macon Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --BIBB COUNTY GA--, Macon GA