Tag Archives: Georgia Houses

Central Hallway Cottage, Dublin

Leave a comment

Filed under --LAURENS COUNTY GA--, Dublin GA

Single-Pen House, Ailey

Leave a comment

Filed under --MONTGOMERY COUNTY GA--, Ailey GA

Folk Victorian House, Ailey

Leave a comment

Filed under --MONTGOMERY COUNTY GA--, Ailey GA

Folk Victorian House, 1884, Brunswick

Brunswick Old Town Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --GLYNN COUNTY GA--, Brunswick GA

Central Hallway Cottage, 1885, Brunswick

Brunswick Old Town Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

2 Comments

Filed under --GLYNN COUNTY GA--, Brunswick GA

Folk Victorian House, 1880, Brunswick

Brunswick Old Town Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

1 Comment

Filed under --GLYNN COUNTY GA--, Brunswick GA

Queen Anne House, Ochlocknee

Leave a comment

Filed under --THOMAS COUNTY GA--, Ochlocknee GA

Folk Victorian House, Ochlocknee

Leave a comment

Filed under --THOMAS COUNTY GA--, Ochlocknee GA

McCaw-Massee House, 1901, Macon

This Beaux-Arts landmark [also known as the Crisco House] was designed by Macon architect Alexander Blair III for Wallace Eugene McCaw, Sr., president of the Macon Manufacturing Company, an oil and soap concern. During his time at Macon Manufacturing Company, Mr. McCaw invented a hydrogenated vegetable-based shortening which he marketed locally as Plantene. The formula was purchased by Procter and Gamble in 1910 and the product name was changed to Crisco. Mr. McCaw sold the house at this time and went on to a career as a vice-president at Procter and Gamble in Cincinnati. He died in 1933 while boating near his summer home at Diamond Point, New York, on Lake George, An autopsy determined that he had a heart attack and fell into the water.

The buyer of the house was W. Jordan Massee, a larger-than-life Macon character known as Big Jordan. Massee was a good friend of playwright Tennessee Williams and Big Daddy in the play was purportedly based on Massee. When Massee sold the house it was divided into apartments. After many years of decline, it was purchased and restored in 2013.

Macon Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

1 Comment

Filed under --BIBB COUNTY GA--, Macon GA

Callaway-Porter House, 1905, Macon

This Classical Revival home is thought to have been designed by Curran R. Ellis for Merrel P. Callaway (26 November 1872-16 June 1957). Ellis may be best known in Macon as the architect of the Bibb County Courthouse. James & Olive Porter purchased the home in 1919 and commissioned an interior redesign from Neel Reid.

Macon Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --BIBB COUNTY GA--, Macon GA