Tag Archives: Georgia Landmarks

Stephen Williams House, 1834, Savannah

This home was built for Stephen B. Williams, a merchant in early 19th century Savannah, circa 1834. He was born circa 1805. His date of death is not known at this time, but it was after 1859. In The Georgia Catalog, John Linley suggests the Federal townhouse was originally one room deep and was enlarged and remodeled circa 1853.

Savannah National Historic Landmark District, National Register of Historic Places

Lewis Bird House, 1838, Savannah

Lewis Bird House in Savannah.

The Bird-Baldwin House, as this Federal style landmark is also known, is considered the oldest house in Savannah south of Liberty Street. Construction of the left side began in 1838 and the stuccoed right side was completed in 1860. The house was built for attorney Lewis Bird (1810-1838), a native of Effingham County, but he and his entire family were killed on 14 June 1838 in the explosion of the Steamship Pulaski off the coast of North Carolina and never occupied the house. Bird’s mother, Sarah Zant Bird (c. 1777-1854), sold it to his law partner, a Mr. Baldwin.

Bird-Baldwin House in Savannah's National Historic Landmark District.

The house was seized and occupied by General William T. Sherman’s staff in December 1864 during the Union Army’s occupation of Savannah.

Savannah National Historic Landmark District, National Register of Historic Places

St. Bartholomew’s Day School, 1897, Burroughs

St Bartholomew's Day School, a historic black school in Burroughs, near Savannah, Georgia.

The St. Barholomew’s Day School was constructed in 1897. It was operated by the St. Bartholomew’s Episcopal Church until 1916, at which time Chatham County rented the building and took over its operation. It was closed as a school in 1951 and has since served as the parish hall.

National Register of Historic Places

Burroughs-Jackson House, Circa 1870, Isle of Hope

Burroughs-Jackson House in Isle of Hope, Georgia.

This house, which likely has several other names, was built circa 1870 when the property was under the trusteeship of George Noble. The Isle of Hope Historical Association does not indicate that Noble ever lived here. The first known residents were the Burroughs family, in the late 1800s. The next owner was Miss Mamie Jackson, who lived here for 36 years. Numerous owners have followed. It is one of the best loved houses in the neighborhood and is always well maintained. It was used as a set location for the 1974 movie, The Last of the Belles and the 1994 move, Camilla.

Isle of Hope Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Liberty Hall, Circa 1875, Isle of Hope

A charming two-story house with a metal roof, featuring a front porch with white railings, surrounded by green shrubs and trees.

The Isle of Hope Historical Association notes that this property, on the site of an old horse car station, was purchased by Alexander Perry Solomon (1857-1933) in 1875 from Dr. Stephen F. Dupon (1822-1893). When Solomon built the house he named it Liberty Hall. The Solomon family were prominent Jewish merchants and wholesale grocers in Savannah. Alexander was a director of Liberty National Bank and Trust Company, and helped organize the Metropolitan Savings and Loan Company, which later merged with Citizens Loan Company to become Citizens Bank. He was also the president of the Tybee Artesian Water, Ice, and Lighting Company.

The original facade of the house featured a projected second floor porch. Later owners added the front steps, reconfigured the porch, and added the dormers.

Note: This replaces and updates a post originally published on 13 March 2019.

Isle of Hope Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Barbee House, Circa 1900, Isle of Hope

Barbee House at Isle of Hope in Savannah, Georgia.

This Italianate-inspired Victorian is located across from the Isle of Hope Marina. It was once owned by Alexander M. Barbee, of Barbee’s Pavilion fame, and later by his daughter, Gertrude Barbee Brady and her husband, Bill Brady. Mr. Brady owned Brady’s Boat Works, which eventually became the Isle of Hope Marina.

Isle of Hope Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Lax Holiness Church, Coffee County

Lax Holiness Church in Irwin County, Georgia, featuring two wreaths on the double doors and surrounded by greenery and shrubs.

Lax Holiness Church, as it is known today, dates to the mid-1890s, contemporary to the establishment of Lax and the growth of the Holiness Baptist movement. (It is located in Coffee County, about 500 yards from the Irwin County line). The cemetery suggests the congregation is older, however. It was in use as early as the 1840s and saw a slow but steady number of burials in the decades between the 1840s and 1890s. Most of these early burials were connected to the Harper family, and the earliest burial I could identify was Leonard Harper (1788-1845). He and his wife, Susanna Brothers Harper (1792-1870), were pioneers of the area and their nine children were central to its growth. Leonard, a native of Liberty County, married Susanna, from South Carolina, in 1804, and they established their family in McIntosh County before relocating to the area of present-day Lax in the 1820s. Unless the cemetery began as a plantation or family cemetery, it was likely associated with a church, and that church eventually became Lax Holiness.

Interior view of Lax Holiness Church, featuring wooden pews and a wooden cross on the wall above the altar.

The Holiness Baptists of Georgia were formed by two congregations who were removed from the Little River Baptist Association in Wilcox County over doctrinal divisions.

Wingate Mule Barn, Circa 1940, Lax

Interior of an abandoned wooden barn, featuring exposed beams, a wooden floor with some decay, and an open doorway leading to a view of greenery outside.

This long-abandoned barn is part of a group of tin-sided structures in “downtown” Lax that were part of the Wingate family’s turpentine and farming operations in the 20th century. This particular structure served as the mule barn, and as this view of the loft would indicate, is in its final days. Thanks to Quint Wingate for the historical background and to Jerry Youghn for suggesting I document it. I’ll share more of these structures soon.

An old, weathered barn at Lax, Georgia, made of corrugated metal and wood, with partially open sides, surrounded by green grass and trees under a partly cloudy blue sky.

Howell-Wingate House, 1890s + 1919, Lax

A charming white house with a gray metal roof, featuring a front porch with black rocking chairs, surrounded by a green lawn and bushes. An American flag is displayed on the porch.

This farmhouse in the crossroads settlement of Lax is the most significant residential landmark remaining in the community. It appears to have originated as a Georgian Cottage but was expanded and remodeled in the popular Craftsman style in 1919. Quint Wingate has graciously shared the history of the settlement, meticulously researched for his masters thesis. He notes that the house was built during the 1890s by Alfred Thomas Howell (1856-1909), a native of Reynoldson, North Carolina, who married an Irwin County native, Mary Ellen Paulk (1868-1956), in 1892. William Ottis Wingate (1885-1934) and brother Walter Lee “W. L.” Wingate purchased the property from Mrs. Howell in 1919, at which time it was remodeled and became William’s home. It remains in the family today and is well maintained.

Ardis-Abbott House, Circa 1845, Marietta

A large, white Southern-style antebellum house with two stories, featuring a wide front porch supported by columns, black shutters, and manicured shrubs in the garden.

David Ardis (1804-1872) and Eliza C. Gray Ardis (1804-1867) are the earliest known owners of this home, one of the few antebellum residences in Marietta to survive the Civil War. They regularly came to Marietta as a retreat from the hot summers of their native Edgefield, South Carolina, and moved here permanently circa 1850. Ardis Street in Marietta is named for this family. The house is now home to the Little & Smith Insurance Company.

Northwest Marietta Historic District, National Register of Historic Places