Nepsey Methodist Church originated as Old Wesley Chapel in 1872, on the plantation of William James Peterson. The congregation built the church at this site in 1877 and renamed it Nepsey Methodist Church, in honor of Sister Nepsey Johnson, a beloved member known as “a steadfast and immovable Christian”. Samuel P. Bryant was the first pastor and the construction of the church was completed during the pastorate of the Rev. M. P. Moore The church was remodeled and bricks added between 1974 and 1977. Nepsey merged with Warren Chapel, which was organized in Mt. Vernon in the early 1900s, in 1983.
This congregation was founded on 19 May 1891. It’s located adjacent to Ailey’s historic Rosenwald School and has been an integral part of the local African-American community throughout its history.
Brewton-Parker College maintains a nice collection of historic structures* illustrative of pioneer life in rural Georgia from the late 18th century to the late 19th century. These are publicly accessible and there is no cost to visit. The most important of these is the Cooper-Conner House, built with slave labor for Revolutionary War veteran Richard Cooper (1758-1836) in the Dead River community [about nine miles from its present location]. Thomas Benton Conner bought the house from George Cooper in 1838. It was moved to this site in an effort to preserve it. [Some sources date this to 1779].
*-Most online references locate this on David-Eliza Fountain Circle, which is the front campus, but the Historic Village is actually located on Lakeshore Drive.
Montgomery County Historic Village, Brewton-Parker College