Tag Archives: Georgia Colleges & Universities

Mercer University School of Law, 1956, Macon

Located atop Coleman Hill and overlooking downtown Macon, the Mercer University School of Law is one of the city’s most recognizable landmarks. Built in 1956 and originally named in honor of Senator Walter F. George, it was modeled after Independence Hall. The school was founded in 1873 and is one of the oldest law schools in the United States, as well as the first in Georgia accredited by the American Bar Association.

 

Mercer Institute Science Building, 1853, Penfield

Photo Courtesy of Lamar Sanders

I’m excited to be able to share this historic photograph of the Science Building of the Mercer Institute, predecessor of Mercer University in Macon. It was graciously shared by Lamar Sanders, who took it in 1970. Almost certainly the work of builder/architect David Demarest, the Greek Revival structure served as the Penfield Village School after Mercer moved to Macon, but was badly damaged by a fire in 1977 and eventually demolished.

 

The President’s House, Circa 1856, Athens

This landmark of the Greek Revival was built by John Thomas Grant, who later sold it to Benjamin Harvey Hill. In 1883 it was sold to James White, whose daughter W. F. Bradshaw inherited it upon his death. It was acquired by the Bradley Foundation in Columbus from the Bradshaw estate in the 1940s and in 1949, it was given to the University of Georgia to be used as the president’s house.

National Register of Historic Places

The Arch, Circa 1857, Athens

Thought to have been cast by the Athens Foundry and replicating the Great Seal of Georgia, the Arch is supported by three columns (pillars) which represent the state’s motto, “Wisdom, Justice, Moderation”. Serving a functional rather than monumental or commemorative purpose, it originally included two doors which connected the columns. The University website notes that until the early 20th century, it was known as “the gate”. The gate and adjacent iron fence, also installed circa 1857, was the boundary of the historic Old North Campus of the University of Georgia. Today, besides serving as the logo of the University, the Arch is a beloved icon of both Athens and Georgia.

Old North Campus- University of Georgia, National Register of Historic Places

Gresham Gymnasium, Norman Park

Norman College Administration Building, 1949, Norman Park

This originally served as the administration building for Norman College. A granite marker commemorates the history of the college, with the First Baptist Church in the background. Jim Howard notes: This building replaced the building destroyed by fire in 1945, completed and occupied in January 1949. The public high school used the premises along with junior college students

Brand Hall, 1904, Norman Park

Though most recently known as the Georgia Baptist Conference Center, the Norman Park campus began in 1900 as the Norman Institute, a school for first grade through high school. It was named for the Norman family, who had been among its largest benefactors and organizers. In the 1920s a junior college curriculum was added and in 1928 the name was changed to Norman Junior College. With an expanded curriculum, it became Norman College in 1951. Due to declining enrollment, the institution was closed in 1971. The Georgia Baptist Convention assumed the assets and liabilities of the college and the Norman Baptist Assembly opened in summer 1971. As of 2016, the property has been transferred to Shorter College, based in Rome.

Brand Hall is the oldest structure associated with the Norman Park Institute, having originally served as a dormitory.

Lucy Cobb Institute, 1858, Athens

Laura Cobb Rutherford was perhaps the first advocate for the education of women in Athens and through her efforts and the financial backing of her brother, T. R. R. Cobb, the Lucy Cobb Institute (named for Cobb’s daughter who had died at the age of 13 from scarlet fever) was constructed in 1858 and held its first classes in 1859. W. W. Thomas was the architect.

National Register of Historic Places

Price Memorial Hall, 1879, Dahlonega

Perhaps the most iconic symbol of Dahlonega, the gold steeple of Price Memorial Hall represents the University of North Georgia (UNG) and the history of gold mining in the area. It can be seen from many vistas around the city. The leafing was added in 1973, from gold mined in the surrounding area.

The property was deeded to the state in 1871. North Georgia College was established in 1873 and when the old U. S. Mint branch burned in 1878, it was replaced by the present structure, which came to be the administration building for the college. In 1934 it was named the Price Memorial Building for William Pierce Price, founder and first president of the board of trustees of North Georgia College.

National Register of Historic Places

Hansford Hall, 1913, Dahlonega

I believe this has only recently been renamed Hansford Hall. It was built in 1913; J. F. Moorefield was the architect.