Though it hardly fits the bill today, the Georgian Revival Davis-Exchange Bank Building was touted as Albany’s first “skyscraper” when completed in 1920, and is still the most prominent commercial building downtown. It was built to replace the old Exchange National Bank which had burned, and housed other businesses, as well. The architect, J. Edwin R. Carpenter, was quite successful, and was called the father of the modern apartment building in New York City, where he focused his practice. He was an early practitioner and proponent of vertical design.
National Register of Historic Places