Nepsey Methodist Church originated as Old Wesley Chapel in 1872, on the plantation of William James Peterson. The congregation built the church at this site in 1877 and renamed it Nepsey Methodist Church, in honor of Sister Nepsey Johnson, a beloved member known as “a steadfast and immovable Christian”. Samuel P. Bryant was the first pastor and the construction of the church was completed during the pastorate of the Rev. M. P. Moore The church was remodeled and bricks added between 1974 and 1977. Nepsey merged with Warren Chapel, which was organized in Mt. Vernon in the early 1900s, in 1983.