This lunchroom, likely built in the early 1950s, is all that remains of the old Irwinville School. It now serves as the Irwinville Community Center and hosts many community and family reunions.
The sign is one of two in Irwinville heralding the great Irwinville High School Farmers basketball team, state champions in 1947, 1950, and 1951. The late, legendary Wallace “Country” Childs (d. 2006) was their formidable coach, and in the consecutive title years of 1950 and 1951 they chalked up 76 wins, a record only recently broken by Cuthbert’s Randolph-Clay High School. The school closed in 1955.