This structure was the original home of the First Presbyterian Church. The congregation was established in 1877 and services were held in the courthouse until the completion of the church building in 1892. The Reverend William McKay served as the first pastor. The town’s’ namesake, William Pitt Eastman was among the first members, along with Miss Carro C. Eastman, Fannie P. Chandler, Lillie E. Chandler, Mary De Groat, Mrs. John Gardiner, Ursula Roberts, Joseph W. Sheldon, Nancy Sheldon, George W. Sheldon, John D. Sheldon, and Mary Russell. William Pitt Eastman and Joseph W. Sheldon were elected Ruling Elders, but Mr. Eastman declined the office.
Phillip Harrell notes that this was also used as the Catholic Church for a time.