This statue, in front of City Hall, is an exact replica of the Etruscan original. It features the Capitoline Wolf nursing the mythological twins Romulus and Remus. It was given to the City of Rome by the Roman Governor by order of Benito Mussolini, as a gesture of goodwill when the Chatillion Silk Mills of Milan, Italy, relocated here in 1929.
The statue was controversial from the outset, but other than a few detractors, was appreciated for its art and historical value. To keep everyone happy, it was often draped, or the twins diapered, when large events were held in the auditorium. One of the twins was stolen in 1933, and though it was never recovered, a replacement was made.
With the outbreak of World War II, anti-Italian sentiment led to the it being mothballed until 1952, when it was returned to its rightful place in front of City Hall. It remains one of the most photographed places in downtown Rome.
Between the Rivers Historic District, National Register of Historic Places