Though his roots were in Pensacola, Glenn E. Bryant was one of the best-known businessmen in Hinesville during his lifetime. This lifelike sculpture of Mr. Bryant and his wife, Trudie, is located beside his former residence, which is now home to the national office and museum of the Independent Telecommunications Pioneer Association (ITPA). As the name implies, this organization recognizes those in the independent telecommunications field and highlights their impact on their communities.
The ITPA Museum is located at the entrance to Bryant Commons, a 150-acre public greenspace that the Bryants envisioned as a place for all to enjoy.
Mr. Bryant, who moved to Hinesville in 1941, was the founder and owner of Coastal Utilities Telephone Company, and mayor of Hinesville from 1963 to 1971. He was chairman of Liberty County Hospital Authority from 1957 to 1970, Liberty County Commissioner from 1970 to 1978, and a Georgia State Senator from 1979 to 1988.
Mr. Bryant brought the best there was to Hinesville in the form of communication and updated it regularly to keep up with the times and beyond. He built an empire that was the best all around. When he decided to get out and sold it, the company that purchased it has let it go down and hasn’t kept up with the times. So sad that they have let this once outstanding company go into the ground.
That’s a very impressive and realistic statue, and an illustrious career for that gentleman.