Tag Archives: Churches of Echols County GA

Wayfare Primitive Baptist Church, Echols County

Constituted in 1841 as Cow Creek Church, near the site of a skirmish between Creek Indians and Georgia Militia [27 August 1837], Wayfare Primitive Baptist Church is the most historic congregation in Echols County. The location was originally in Ware County, then Clinch, before the creation of Echols County. Original members were: John Roberts, Sr., Edmund Mathis, Unity Mathis, Harvey Mizell, Rebecca Mizell, John T. Roberts, John Mathis, James Johnson, Simon A. Blackman, Azilpha Tomlinson, Harvey Matthews, Elizabeth Register and Rachael Howell.