
Sweetwater is located adjacent to Refuge Primitive Baptist Church. The South Georgia Conference of the United Methodist Church notes: Less than a mile from the present site, this church was organized in 1888, in a log church with 10-12 members. It takes its name from the nearby Sweet Water Creek which runs just north of the church. This is the original church, brick-veneered with new windows and air conditioning added in 1979-80. The original hard carved altar rail and pulpit are still used. It had door on each end and both sides with Rev. H. T. Ethridge as the first pastor.
