Tag Archives: Churches of Decatur County GA

First Presbyterian Church, 1900, Bainbridge

First Presbyterian Church of Bainbridge dates to 1852, with official founding members coming from the Quincy, Florida, congregation. The first church building was built in 1854; it burned in 1874 with much of the business district; a replacement was built in 1877.  The third and present structure was built in 1900 and dedicated in 1910.

Bainbridge Commercial Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Attapulgus Methodist Church, 1928

It’s believed that John Slade, a missionary from South Carolina, organized this congregation around 1830 and served as its first pastor. The first building was erected in 1869.  Ground was broken for the present church in 1927 and it was dedicated on 17 April 1928, by Bishop William N. Ainsworth.