The central section of this structure housed the old Richmond County Courthouse, making this the oldest standing courthouse in Georgia. (The oldest in its original form is the 1825 Fayette County Courthouse). Sold in 1821 to mayor Samuel Hale, the building was expanded for use as a residence. The family of Dr. Eugene Murphy were the last private owners, selling it to the Augusta Junior League in the 1952. It is depicted on both the Augusta city seal and flag. A gingko on the property is thought to have been planted on the lot in 1791 to commemorate George Washington’s visit to the city.
National Register of Historic Places