Founded in 1807 as part of the Apalachee Circuit, Madison Methodist Church has been a part of this community since its founding. In 1849, the congregation had an active role in the founding of the Madison Female Institute, one of the oldest women’s colleges in the United States. The Institute was active until the Civil War. The present sanctuary, of the Akron plan so popular in the late-19th and early-20th centuries, was completed in 1914. Tiffany stained glass windows are among the most prominent decorative features. The congregation remains among the most active in Morgan County.
Madison Historic District, National Register of Historic Places