White Sulphur Springs, Meriwether County

On the winding drive between Harris City and Pine Mountain I came across this site, which immediately caught my attention. Research led me to the story of one of old Georgia’s most famous health resorts, White Sulphur Springs. Thanks to the efforts of Steven Stewart, the present owner, it’s being restored. Apparently, it had stood abandoned for many years.

Like the other mineral springs which dot Meriwether County, White Sulphur Springs has a water whose quality has legions of devotees. To those it’s helped with all sorts of ailments, its healing powers are real. In an article for the Chattahoochee Heritage Project, Mr. Stewart told Aaron Lake, “I can’t say whether it has medicinal properties, but these people have experienced it.” I believe Mr. Stewart has plans to bottle the water in the future.

In its prime, White Sulphur Springs boasted a luxury hotel, which burned down in 1948, but a few cabins and the pavilion remain. An obvious love of history has motivated Mr. Stewart to save what he can on this historic property. Notables such as John D. Rockefeller, J. P. Morgan, George Vanderbilt, Franklin D. Roosevelt and Jackie Kennedy were among the many celebrities who visited here.

I’m presently unaware of the progress of the restoration, but this is private property. My photos were made from the right of way. I just couldn’t pass by without stopping.

19 thoughts on “White Sulphur Springs, Meriwether County

1. Pingback: Top Ten Posts of 2021 – Vanishing Georgia: Photographs by Brian Brown

2. Matthew Blackwood

Glad to see this. In the mid 1990’s I actually looked at this as it was for sale at the time and I was considering purchasing it and restoring it.

3. John (Mack) Jamison

Is this the location of the campmeeting building that was put together with wood pegs and in which J.L. Jamison, a pastor in Manchester from about 1946-1958 organized and held yearly meetings til about 1959? The spring pavilion looks hauntingly familiar!

4. Connie Minish

We are in Pine Mountain today . What Hwy is this located on ?
    Many thanks from Athens, GA and do you know of any info about Bullouchville Ga now Warm Springs ?

5. curiosity50

Isn’t this the same White Sulphur Springs in Georgia that the Indians were thrown off the property, then it was hotels and other businesses that kept getting destroyed by tornados? Then a few years ago they asked the Indians to come and bless the land, because it was believed it was cursed due to the miss treatment of the Indians and now its owned by a bottled water company which they sold the land for $1,000,000 to the company due that the owner was dying of cancer. People only get bits of pieces of info. Research this property thoroughly. My Great, Great Grandmother was in the trail of tears. I pretty much know how it went down. SMH…

1. Brian Brown Post author

I haven’t read this history, because it’s usually not available for obvious reason, but I agree with you that there is much to make right with these sorts of places. Thank you for sharing.

1. GA Historian

When you say “Indian”, do you mean the Lower Creeks of the Muscogee Nation? If so, I can tell you that Harris County was established in 1827 from parts of Muscogee and Troup Counties along with lands that once belonged to the Muscogee (Creek) Nation. The unlawful Treaty of Indian Springs, signed in 1825 (by McIntosh, et al), ceded the Lower Creeks’ lands to Georgia, and the 1826 Treaty of Washington reaffirmed the declaration… this resulted in the Lower Creeks being pushed out, even if the act that sold their land was not lawful, and the Upper Creeks (that lived in what is now Alabama) were pushed out later. Most of the Muscogee Nation were later pushed to “Indian Territory” during the Trail of Tears under Andrew Jackson in the 1830s.

6. Mary Ellen McDuffie

Allqua Water recently acquired these Sulphur springs and is bottling under the name Allqua Water.

About Allqua Water
    Silver Member

Allqua water comes from a single spring source located in Pine Mountain, Georgia. Allqua water is unique because our spring is 100% naturally alkaline. The natural elements, minerals, and alkalinity found in our water combine to create a superior taste that is unmatched.

7. wendy rivers Durham

I am reading Murder in Coweta County and it is mentioned that Turners body was put in a well on that land at White Sulfur Springs. I have riden by there many times on the way to Pine Mountain and have heard stories. I think it would be great to have this restored

8. lynda warner

There is another area of the springs a little further back from the highway. We used to drive over Ang get 2 or three gallons every couple of weeks. This was in 2009-10. It does help many ailments.

9. kilby hanna

I guess there are 2 White Sulpher Springs! I’m completely in the wrong state. Alexander Hanna’s hotel was in De Kalb County, Alabama, next door to Dade County Georgia.
    My apologies!

1. Brian Brown Post author

It’s fine, Kilby. There are at least two places with this name in Georgia, as well. Mineral springs were the spas of the late-19th and early-20th centuries. As popular then as beaches are today!

1. Tom Warnock

Florida also has a White Springs, that I think used to be called White Sulfur Springs. Doing genealogy research I found reference to a gentleman from Appling County having died two weeks after getting home from spending two months in the ‘rejuvenating waters of White Springs Florida’.

10. kilby hanna

Never in a million years did I think you would feature something connected to my family!
    Alexander Hanna built The White Sulphur Spring’s Hotel in 1871! He was my 4th great uncle. I only heard of it when I started doing genealogy and digging deeper into family history a few years ago. Alexander died in 1894.
    Best of luck to Mr. Stewart in his restoration efforts.