Gordon McKay of Massachusetts built Indian Mound and so named it for a mound on the lawn, then thought to have been a burial site of the Guale Indians but later found to be a shell midden. William Rockefeller purchased it in 1905 and it remained in the Rockefeller family until 1947.
It was the first of the club cottages to be restored. It has long served as a house museum.
Jekyll Island Historic District, National Register of Historic Places + National Historic Landmark