Bethel A. M. E. is one of the most historic Black congregations in Cobb County and remains an active part of the community. Membership has ebbed and flowed over the years, as with many churches, but those who appreciate the history do a good job of keeping it alive. The History of Bethel A. M. E. notes: Bethel A.M.E. was built by the skilled hands of freed slaves, and has stood throughout time… Bethel A.M.E.’s church history recalls General Sherman’s march throughout Georgia. At the end of the Civil War, there were 200 freed slaves remaining in Acworth. The emancipated slaves immediately became a vital part of the Acworth community, and took on a monumental task, and used their artistry and skill to build a church. After the end of slavery, members of the Bethel A.M.E. church and Zion Hill Missionary Baptist church shared church buildings. This tradition of alternating Sunday services lasted for many years until Zion Missionary Baptist church moved to a more contemporary church building in 1914; while the members of the Bethel A.M.E. remained in the original church building built by the freed slaves. Bethel A.M.E was built in 1878*, and a bell tower was added in 1895.
*-Some sources list the date of construction as 1882.
National Register of Historic Places