Category Archives: –THOMAS COUNTY GA–

Ball House, Circa 1888, Thomasville

The Ball House was renovated by Thomasville architect Rod Brantely in 1948. Brantley added the chinoiserie porch, likely to distinguish it from its next door twin.

Dawson Street Residential Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --THOMAS COUNTY GA--, Thomasville GA

First Church of Christ, Scientist, 1918, Thomasville

This congregation was established circa 1918.

Dawson Street Residential Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

2 Comments

Filed under --THOMAS COUNTY GA--, Thomasville GA

Dr. Royal Miller House, 1903, Thomasville

Dawson Street Residential Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --THOMAS COUNTY GA--, Thomasville GA

Seixas House, Circa 1835, Thomasville

The Seixas [pronounced say-shus] family were among the early settlers of Thomasville and this house, now an office, is the oldest one-story house in Thomasville. It was moved to this location by Thomasville Landmarks to prevent demolition.

Dawson Street Residential Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

 

Leave a comment

Filed under --THOMAS COUNTY GA--, Thomasville GA

Bethany Congregational Church, 1891 & 1914, Thomasville

Bethany Congregational Church was built in conjunction with the Allen Normal & Industrial Institute (1885-1933), a progressive school for black children sponsored by the American Missionary Society. The Society was the missionary department of the United Church of Christ. The school had initially been established in Quitman but the white community there burned the school to the ground scarcely six weeks after its opening. The institute moved to Thomasville after this racist episode and built a new home. Bethany was built in 1891, but only the rear section visible above. The front of the church, including the steeple, was added to meet the needs of a growing congregation in 1914.

Andrew Young served as pastor here in 1955, just after graduating from Hartford Theological Seminary in Connecticut. He went on to become a seminal figure of the Civil Rights Movement, an ambassador to the United Nations, and mayor of Atlanta.

National Register of Historic Places

1 Comment

Filed under --THOMAS COUNTY GA--, Thomasville GA

Eclectic House, 1902, Thomasville

Fletcherville Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

1 Comment

Filed under --THOMAS COUNTY GA--, Thomasville GA

Craftsman Bungalow, 1928, Thomasville

Fletcherville Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --THOMAS COUNTY GA--, Thomasville GA

Antebellum Cottage, 1850s, Thomasville

This circa 1853-1855 cottage has recently been renovated. The dormer is a later addition that detracts from its Greek Revival appearance.

Fletcherville Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --THOMAS COUNTY GA--, Thomasville GA

Bryan H. Wright House, 1893, Thomasville

Fletcherville Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --THOMAS COUNTY GA--, Thomasville GA

Wright House, 1854, Thomasville

This fine antebellum home was designed and built by John Wind in the Fletcherville neighborhood for Arthur P. Wright, a banker a city alderman who served as Thomasville mayor at the outset of the Civil War. It was used for early meetings of the St. Thomas Episcopal Church, as well.

The hand-carved square columns are perhaps the most significant decorative elements of the house, which is listed individually and as a contributing property to the Fletcherville Historic District in the National Register of Historic Places.

National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --THOMAS COUNTY GA--, Thomasville GA