This congregation in the Donovan community dates to 1906.
Tag Archives: Churches of Johnson County GA
Thanks to Deborah Brantley for the identification. Guy Singletary also notes that it closed about four years ago and that some of the members now attend Wrightsville United Methodist Church. Many thanks to David Frey, whose wife Deanne once attended this church, for the following interior shots he made in 2012.
According to the South Georgia Conference of the United Methodist Church: In the 1790’s, Rev. Francis Richard Flanders, a Methodist, married Nancy Jerdon, a Quaker. They built a log cabin and began to hold services in their home, calling themselves “Quaker Methodists”. Later services were held in a brush arbor. Rev. Flanders and his brother were presumed killed by Indians. In 1836, the Flanders and Sumner families erected the present frame structure. It is constructed of very wide boards put down with wooden pegs. The benches constructed from the same wide boards also remain.