Tag Archives: Georgia Grocery Stores

Five Points Grocery, Toombs County

There has been a grocery/general store, and at times a restaurant, at the intersection of Georgia Highway 86 and Griffin Ferry Road for many years. The “fifth point” at five points is a dirt road, Findley Cemetery Road. There are countless communities in the state designated by geographical identifiers and though most are only known locally, they’re important landmarks.

Neighborhood Store, Dublin

This appears to have been a neighborhood grocery, probably built between the 1920s-1940s. The cylindrical brick posts are a nice uncommon detail.

Keys Grocery Sign, Putnam County

Old stores like Key’s Grocery were rural landmarks. A Coca-Cola sign was a sure way to attract customers.

Willie Harris Grocery Store, 1969, Hilltop

This store was also known as Hill Top Groceries.

Though it closed a few years ago, it has been preserved as a community landmark.

Blackmon’s Market, Hilltop

Blackmon’s was one of two grocery stores in the small Hilltop community of Concord.

Hollonville, Georgia

Hollonville is located where Concord Road runs into Georgia Highway 362. And while so many crossroads “towns” all over Georgia have seen their few remaining buildings crumble to ruin, Hollonville has bucked the trend. These two repurposed historic storefronts are home to thriving businesses today. It’s a surprisingly busy place.

Sterlings Grocery, 1896, St. Marys

D. C. Sterling built this grocery store and residence in 1896, after originally operating a location across the street.

St. Marys Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

West Side Grocery, Fitzgerald

West Side Grocery was recently razed, along with Harry Pittman’s Novelty Warehouse and Floyd’s Hamburger Shack. It was the first “convenience” store in this section of town, if not the entire town.

Saxon, Georgia

Saxon is a crossroads settlement located just south of the Broad River. This old store/filling station is about all that remains. I believe it dates to circa 1930.

Patterson’s Grocery, Milledgeville


This historic grocery store, across Greene Street from the old depot in Milledgeville, is adjacent to property once owned by the O’Connor family. It appears to date from the late 19th or early 20th century.