Mt. Enon was constituted in 1856, to serve the spiritual needs of the now-forgotten Gum Pond community, and the present structure dates to 1888 (according to the National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form). General Joseph Wheeler’s troops stopped at this location while returning federal prisoners to Andersonville, and the first Academy in Mitchell County, Ravenwood, was also located here.
On 29 December 1883, Mt. Enon was also the site of the organizational meeting of the Mallary Baptist Association, named for the prominent Georgia statesman Charles Dutton Mallary. Members of this association today can be found in Mitchell, Colquitt, Tift, and Worth counties.
Today, Mount Enon is the last surviving structure associated with the dead town of Gum Pond. At the outset of the Civil War in 1860, Gum Pond had a population of about 400, with a general store, an inn, and a blacksmith shop. After the settlement of Baconton in 1869, Gum Pond’s population decreased and the community all but disappeared. The church disbanded in 1928.
National Register of Historic Places