This neighborhood of Lenox was originally known as Staunton. According to Linda W. Meadows, believes it was built by local timber baron Sim Harrell (1851-1929) in the early 1890s. Remembered Places Leftover Pieces of the Coastal Plain Area, an architectural resource published in 1976, identifies it as the Cannon House. It’s possible that Mr. Harrell was simply the builder. The front gable originally contained an arched window, that was removed during a remodel at some point.
However, Holt Daughtrey writes: Speaking as a great-great grandson of T.P. Daughtrey both Cannon house as well as many of the houses including the post office were payed for by either the Cannon family which Tom married into or the Daughtrey clan. Money made through turpentine as well as running a local saw mill.