According to Nancy Stephens, who once owned this house, it was built circa 1815 by Thomas Whaley in the Federal style. It was purchased in 1853 by Dr. Edmund Monroe Pendleton (1816-27 January 1884), who expanded it. Pendleton was a graduate of the South Carolina Medical College and a local physician. He was also an entrepreneur and developed the Pendleton Formula, which made use of animal matter as fertilizer. After leaving Sparta, Dr Graves served as chair of the Agriculture Department at the University of Georgia (1872-1877).
Entrepreneur and banker Richard Augustus Graves (11 July 1848-27 December 1901) bought the house in 1880 and modified it to its present Victorian appearance. A native of Burke County, he came to Sparta from Augusta and ran a successful retail store before becoming a banker in 1887. He served as chairman of the county commission and vice president of the Georgia Bankers’ Association.
The house is presently unoccupied.
Sparta Historic District, National Register of Historic Places