In 1810, Oliver Hillhouse Prince built the two-story Federal style house that makes up the front section of the present structure. Prince was commissioned by Georgia to lay out the city of Macon in 1822 and sold the house to Augustus Gibson in 1825. Prince later served as a United States Senator. When Alexander Pope, great-grandfather of Washington mayor Edward Pope, bought the Prince house from Augustus Gibson on 8 June 1825, he was apparently already in residence there. Pope then purchased the old 1785 Wilkes County Courthouse, which was still standing opposite the public square where a new courthouse had been built in 1817. Two rooms of the old courthouse building were moved intact and make up the southwest quadrant of the house as it stands today. Other of this lumber was used in part of the construction of the southeast quadrant of the house. This addition left a thirty-inch space between the addition and the original house which accommodates the stairs leading from the circular stairway which existed in the original house. At this time a complete new hip roof was constructed to cover the entire house. Alexander Pope died in 1864 and his widow and children lived in the house until 1873 when the house was sold to William Simpson. Many changes in the house were made by Mr. Simpson and his son, Dr. Robert G. Simpson. Upon Dr. Simpson’s death in 1938, the home was left to his nephew, Dr. Robert G. Stephens, who lived here and practiced medicine until his death in 1974. Mayor Pope bought the house from Emma Stephens Wilson, daughter of Dr. Stephens, in 1977.
National Register of Historic Places